April 2, 2011

One here will constant be...

I feel the title of my blog needs an explanation since I have been asked about it a couple of times.

I chose the name from a line in the song called "Who Would True Valor See". It's a very old hymn that is inspired by the book 'Pilgrim's Progress' by John Bunyan. The lyrics are so beautiful, humble, refreshing, and yet complex that I feel like I could read the words ten times and still have so much of its meaning left to grasp. Its fascinating how that is - the fact that the things that are simplest tend to befuddle us. I hope to keep my blog molded by and focused around simplicity, pilgrimage, fearlessness, and devotion (roughly). In my next post I want to explore the detailed differences between being a wanderer and being a pilgrim; but I digress....
I encourage reading over the words a couple of times, at least.  

Who would true valor see
Let him come hither
One here will constant be
Come wind, come weather
There's no discouragement
Shall make him once relent
His fist avowed intent to be a pilgrim

Who so beset him 'round 
With dismal stories
Who but themselves confound
His strength the more is
No lion can him fright
He'll with a giant fight
But he will have a right to be a pilgrim

Hobgoblin nor foul fiend
Can daunt his spirit
He knows he at the end
Shall life inherit
Then fancies flee away
He'll fear not what men say
He'll labor night and day to be a pilgrim




















No comments:

Post a Comment