March 31, 2011

"Take Up Your Cross"

I understand about dying to self, however I admit I have never fully understood what Jesus meant when he said this. But today this concept was brought to my attention at a moment when I really needed it. I felt as if I'd finally grasped a truth that answered almost all of my questions and put my discontentment to rest.

If I'm lonely, hurt, confused, put down, or afraid, the answer is always "Take up your cross".

The cross is a symbol of death and physical pain, but also of spiritual birth/renewal. Put another way, it is a connection and our common ground with Christ and it signifies strength and love. Strength and love is what it takes to place ourselves on the alter every day.

The cross is the one thing we must have with us on our journey if we make the decision to follow in Jesus's footsteps - nothing else in the world is required.

"Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit." (John 12:24) So, back to what I said in the beginning. If I'm lonely, the answer is: die with me; It's not a request.
It is only by overcoming ourselves daily that we can strengthen our relationship with Christ.

The cross is our relationship with Christ.

And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me" (Luke 9:23)

No comments:

Post a Comment