April 20, 2011

Waiting: Part I - Divine Perspective

Fellow Pilgrims -
There's a lot to be said about waiting, and it's something that, like most people I imagine, I am constantly working at. Also, I think being patient goes hand in hand with being content. So, that being said, here are my thoughts:

I find that I am most impatient when I am the least content. And to be honest, I don't have the right to be discontent. Most of the time I am impatient for the future to come, but when I get like that I really have to grasp a couple of things:

1. I am not living for myself. I am here to take care of God's sheep, and I can do that no matter where I am.
2. There is a detailed reason for every second of my day, and every detailed second could be (and most likely is) directly or indirectly affecting someone else for the better.

We sometimes tend to see time in the same way we view space (as in, astronomical space). When you look up at the night sky you see stars scattered across a huge black canvas. Seems like an awful waste of space, but actually the space between the stars is completely filled with beautiful gas and dust that make up nebulae which we can't see with the naked eye. We can only see this with a much bigger perspective (Hubble space telescope?).

It's the same way with waiting. We tend to see only the stars, the things we're looking forward to (which is perfectly natural), but when it comes to waiting for those things it can get extremely difficult. However if we have faith even as small as a mustard seed, God can open our eyes to the space in between that is completely filled with his work in our life. God is molding you in the spaces. He is doing so much and affecting so many people by your one, short lifespan that we can't even fathom it.

I love how all of God's creation conveys spiritual truths :)

"Nevertheless, each man should retain the place in life that the Lord has assigned to him and to which God has called him." 1 Cor 7:17

1 comment: